The Visual Information Processing Laboratory (VIPLab) was established in March 2005. In cooperation with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, the Tsinghua-PolyU Biometric Joint Laboratory (TPBJLab) was set up in June 2006.
Principal equipment in our laboratory include: HDTV camera, arrayed camera, video work stations, multiple human biometrics extraction sensors, high performance computers and servers, microscope, stereoscopic system, etc.
The research areas of laboratory include: 2D/3D image/video processing, analysis, transmission and its applications in medicine, sports, industry, remote sensing and so on; pattern recognition and its applications in individual identification, character recognition, etc. Our research projects are supported by the National Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 211 and 985 projects and civic/provincial science committees. The results of our research have been recognized with the provincial first class prize, international invention exhibition golden prizes and with the award of several 'best papers' at international conferences.
• Multiple human biometrics fusion based identification system
• Diving video analysis
• Network stereo video transmission system
• Automatic analysis for cerebral tumors by MR images
• Image based leucocyte classification
• Character recognition in the case of various background
• 3D video acquisition, processing, transmission and display