The Division of Life and Health Sciences consists of 5 research areas, including Biology, Chemical Biology, Marine Biology, Biomedical Engineering, and Optical Imaging and Sensing. Totally, over 10 directions of research are involved. They are molecular biology, cell biology, plant molecular biology, cancer biology, gene therapy, pharmaceutics and pharmacology, Metabonomics ,Speech Processing and Digital Medical Equipment R & D. Projects in study by the division in 2010 include Chinese National Natural Science Foundation, 863 Project and Drug Mega Discovery Project, Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province, Shenzhen-Hong Kong Innovation Circle Fund, Shenzhen Science and Technology Bureau Foundation. The projects are funded by NSFC, the Ministry of Science and Technology, the Ministry of Education, Guangdong provincial and Shenzhen municipal governments. The Division of Life and Health Sciences have many patent applications and SCI publications each year.
1. Drug-loaded PCL-TPGS/Pluronic nanoparticles modified with monoclonal antibody for targeted treatment of cervical cancer，National Natural Science Foundation of China PI: Yuyang JIANG, Professor
2. Identification of the tumor genes regulated by Pokemon and their potential applications as drug targets（Hi-Tech Research and Development Program of China 863 Project funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology）PI: Yuyang JIANG, Professor
3 Bioengineered stem cell niche for cutaneous regeneration，Natural Science Foundation of China（2010, key project）PI: Yaojiong WU, Professor
4. New rapid nano-immunoassay for the detection HIV antibody.（Hi-tech Research and Development Program of China）：PI: Lan MA, Associate Professor
5. Large-scale production of 23 groups of pneumococcal antigen vaccines and study on the key techniques of it’s quality control. （National Science and Technology Supporting Plan）PI: Lan MAR, Associate Professor.
6. Study on small RNA drugs with activity of anti tumor angiogenesis and tumour metastasis. Drug Discovery Mega Project funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology ). PI: Yaou ZHANG, Professor
7. Regulation of miR-626 Functions by Vesican 3’UTR,( CHINA-CANADA Joint Health Research Initiative Proposal). PI: Yaou ZHANG, Professor
8．The amplified quenching of conjugated polyelectrolyted by nano particles and the application in biosensing。(Natural Science Foundation of China) PI: Chunyan TAN, Associate Professor
9． Synthesis and analysis of N-phorsphorylated peptides and protein (Natural Science Foundation of China) PI: Hongxia LIU, Associate Professor
10. Research on the pitch encoding mechanism in electric hearing (Natural Science Foundation of China) PI: Tian GUAN, Lecturer
11．Development of high sensitive fluorescent immunoassay for the detection to the residues of drugs in the foods.（SZSITIC Grant）PI: Lan MA, Associate Professor.
12．Drug-loaded PCL-TPGS/Pluronic nanoparticles modified with monoclonal antibody for targeted treatment of cervical cancer，National Natural Science Foundation of China . PI: Lin MEI, Associate Professor.
13． The anti-inflammatory and islet-protecting mechanisms of TZD by targeting miR-181a in monocytes. National Natural Science Foundation of China. PI：Weidong XIE， Lecturer
14．Topoisomerase inhibitors: the synthesis and bioactivity study on tumor-specific acridone and derivatives。National Natural Science Foundation of China. PI：Chunmei GAO, Lecturer